Sunday, January 24, 2010

Queen of Awkwardness.

Yes that's me. I have a dousy of one that happened today before sacrament meeting.
This morning, none of my roommates had to attend any meetings, which is very abnormal. So most of us walked up together, except for Becca because she slept in and we left early. Usually, I am the one that saves seats because my calling does not require meetings. I sit on one side halfway down the "pew" and put my jacket and purse on the other side of the boundaries. Lately, my saved seats have been taken because people who I do not plan for come and want to join, and I can't refuse (examples are other lonely roommates or engaged couple member.)and the rest of the chairs that were outside my perimeter are already taken. So last Sunday, Kayla couldn't sit with us and Becca had to sit next to Scott's (Falisha's fiance, she's my newest roommate) new roommate Porter and the "border". Today Tanis said that it felt like Becca was cut off from us because she was sitting on the wrong side of Porter.
Alright, back to my story. So today, it was Tanis, Falisha, Scott and I who walked up together to church (talking about wedding registration the entire time...) I went into the "pew" first followed by Tanis then the couple. As we sat down I told Tanis to tell Scott to save two seats for Kayla and Becca on the other side of our group next to him, because I'm just used to sitting on a border and everyone to the right of me. Tanis, "why don't you just save the seats next to you?" Me, "uh... um... because... okay." So I put my purse and scriptures on the two seats, and started to re-examine my lesson that I was giving. People slowly started to arrive, and I see someone walk towards me. His name is Oliver, and I do. not. like. him. even as a friend. I have no reason or explanation, I just don't. He's the one on the right and then the left.
This is roughly our conversation:
Oliver: "Dana! I wanted to sit next to you."
Dana: "Oh. sorry, they're saved."
Tanis: "Dana, you could just move over."
Dana:"---(thinking of an excuse, because I really didn't want to sit next to him)--- uh...but--- okay"
I lean down to pick up my jacket "wait what?" (I'm staring at the saved seats trying to figure it out. I guess I'm really dense because I couldn't understand what she was suggesting)
Tanis: "Just move over"
Dana: -----I was thinking like, stay there and just move Kayla and Becca over one seat so he could sit next to me or I move over one and still sit next to Kayla/Becca and have Oliver sit in between Tanis and I. Like I said, my mind was not working very well.
Oliver: sits down on the other side of saved seats, and leans over to read my scripture cover, ie the name. "who are they saved for?"
Dana: still sitting in my first seat with my jacket in hand " Um, Kayla and Becca"
Oliver: nods
--------------------awkward silence----------------
Dana: I return to my lesson after putting my jacket under my chair again. I didn't move.
After a minute Oliver gets up and goes and sits next to a different girl in the ward, which happened to be the row right behind us, and sits right behind me.
I take a breath, I don't feel too bad, but I'm sure my face was red. More people start to come in and I see Porter and Spencer (engaged but his other half is not in our ward) sit next to Scott. So the lineup right now is saved-saved-Me-Tanis-Falisha-Scott-Spencer-Porter. A minute later I see Kayla and Kim (her roommate) come and sit on the other side of our row (close to Porter). I say to myself, "Alright, no Kayla" and removed my purse. Then an apartment of men come and sit next to Becca's saved seat. and then they have to go sit and pass the sacrament, but they will be back. a minute later Becca comes toward my side and sees her spot and tells me and Tanis, " But I always sit over on the right side!" and then went and sat on the last seat near Porter/Kayla/ Kim and some other random people. (talk about being cut off from us!). Dana: "Fine. No Becca." and I remove my scriptures. I was just sitting there wondering what it must look like to Oliver to see all this happening. I don't know why, but it hurt that not one of the people who I saved a seat for sat there...
So church started and the Sacrament was over, and the faithful priesthood holders came and sat down. Well Becca's rejected seat was inhabited by Stevo(real name Stephen, but we have like 3 of those), another man that I do not have a drop of likeness in me, though I prefer him to Oliver. Once again I wonder what Oliver must be thinking right now...
This story might not seem too awkward because I really don't remember the entire conversation, but trust me it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment