Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cloudy with a chance of Dippin' Dots...

Today, it snowed. WELCOME TO UTAH! April first and it snowed. As Kayla and I were walking home from house hunting, it started to "snow", but it looked more like Dippin Dots as Kayla said. And it was so true. After the walk, I craved these twenty-first ice cream sensations, but I was a bit too cold to pay 4 bucks for a small size.
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!! This is the real reason for this post. On wednesday, I had a meeting for my Geology 210 class. A Field study class...yes, this means funness that a stuffy, horribly lighted classroom can not achieve. Brace yourself, you will eat your heart out...
For the two weeks leading up to school, I will be backpacking all over Utah. This is the itinerary.
August 16: Meet at 7 am and depart to Albion Basin Campground in Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta, UT). For the next four days (Tuesday-Friday) I will be hiking all around that canyon, creating cross section of the Pre-Cambrian(?) rocks that are exposed. I will have to provide my own food, and all the other good stuff. (I AM SO EXCITED!!!!) We then drive back on Friday night, to calm our weary feet and restock our food for the following trip. All that week, Thunderstorms are most likely to pop up, and if you didn't know this, Thunderstorms are my true love. We are supposed to pack for both warm and cold (snow) weather, because at 10,000 feet, anything can happen. (I AM SO EXCITED!!!!). I hope it rains, no the entire time, but at least once.
August 23: We just spend it up on Campus, but then on Tuesday we meet at 7 am and travel to Zion National Park and camp there for the night. Leave Wednesday for Bryce Canyon Park and spend the night there. Then on Thursday we leave for Capitol Reef National Park and stay till Saturday morning (the 28th). Hiking is throughout the entire week, and even while we are driving we will be stopping and checking out mountains and peaks. (I AM SO EXCITED!!!!). We get back Saturday afternoon, just in time for school to start either that monday or tuesday... Perfect timing.
Not to mention that if Kayla and I do find a house then she will sadly be moving all my junk as well as hers since move-in is usually the 25 or 27th. And I'll have the darkest most funny tan that anyone can have just in time to meet my new ward. Fabulous first impressions. Got to love them. ( I AM SO EXCITED!!!!)
And if anyone (mostly the women and Craig) care, this field study will have about a 3 to 1 boy ratio to girl participents. And judging from the meeting some of them are pretty good looking... Two secluded weeks... where no girlfriend can go... free evenings... You can fill in the empty pieces. (I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!) besides, we are suppost to have a buddy system, and no offence to the girls in the class, but I would like to be paired with someone that has The Priesthood, just in case something does happen when we are away from Base Camp. Just a pre-caution. That and guys are just more fun to be around, girls I've notice, tend to wear on my nerves much faster than their counterparts. Oh well.
And if anyone really knows me, I am not a patient person. So waiting for August to come will be painful, I will most likely be packed a month in advance, or at least know what I want to take with me. And I will google all the info about the places were we are going and seeing. Uh. I AM SO EXCITED!!! I will probably be the most boring person to talk to until this is done, because I will have a one track mind.

(The pictures are as follows: Alta, UT; Zion N.P; Bryce Canyon N.P.; Capitol Reef N.P. expect better pictures come September)






I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

3 comments:

  1. DANA! That is SO AWESOME! Totally excited for you. Good luck with the apartment hunt and with the "hotties" on your campout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember to pack your iron skillet, a few steaks and tons of canned food in your back pack. That's the correct way to hike around those parks. If you have never been, they will take your breath away.
    Have fun on your trips and you better come back with some fun and exciting stories that involve kissing. Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No you weren't Marja, you meant every word of your advice. And maybe I'll follow it. Who knows. I'm still excied even after a week since our meeting. Ahh...August can't come soon enough(but apart of me doesn't want it to come, since school will be right after this outing)

    ReplyDelete