Saturday, November 7, 2009

Baking for the Soul

Lately, I've had the passion to bake. Maybe it's the cold air or the fact that it's a wonderful experience to walk into an apartment that smells yummy with cake or cookies scent. But last week, Jennifer (Aka Jenn or Jen; it's debatable) had her 24 birthday and we as an apartment did not really plan for it. Luckily, I usually keep at least a brownie or a cake mix stashed away for times like these, so I whipped it out and made a cake after church. I found an icing recipe online which called for 5 ingredients: sugar, vanilla, butter, milk, and cocoa. You melt and then pour it over the cake. It was gone before the sun set on Monday.
This weekend, I baked mom's chocolate chip cookies and Baked Alaska. The cookies because I need to pay-off some people for their services rendered, and to leave on doorsteps. The Baked Alaska was actually for this Tie-Date activity our service committee put together. This boy's tie I picked up, actually didn't put his tie in. His roommates did. I decided to give the service but to not hold it to him for a date. The first was a chicken enchilada dinner. They were delicious and thanks Mel for the recipe. The second was a complete makeover for his car. We took it to a quarter wash, since our apartment has already taken in the hose for the winter, where I gave a quarter to a homeless man, and Jamie (one of my next door neighbors) helped a lady out of the dumpster gate. I ran out of idea's for the third service since that was the deal, I asked some of the men from our ward that I "chill" with sometimes and Jeff since he's on hand. But I was still stumped. So I sent Jamie over to his house and she couldn't leave until she got an answer from him on what I can do. He told her that I should make my favorite dessert. So I did. He was impressed and apparently ate half of the cake within half an hour. I told him that I'm not expecting a date, but he insisted. So maybe next Saturday we will go on a date. But I guess I put pressure on him because of the quality of service I gave him, he feels like he needs to make up for it...We'll see how it turns out.
I can't wait for Thanksgiving because I'm going to make a Potato Cake. These people don't know what they are missing, so it's my job to do the missionary work.

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the world of dating. Reciprocation and more reciprocation. Don't feel worried that he's being pressured. Feel honored that he's impressed with you. I'm impressed with you too! Baked Alaska?!

    ReplyDelete